Suffering with excessive saliva since months causing improper sleep and suffocation. Is it a symptom of thyroid?

my mother-in-law is 84 years and has beeen suffering from excesive saliva for 4 months now that shes not getting a good sleep that she wakes up at 2 at night. her complain is that she cant get rid of the saliva by swallowing and she is always getting rid of it from her mouth and this is making her very tired and upset especially at night she feels that shes suffocating. My question is saliva a symptom of thyroid and if so what is the solution and medication or if this is true does the operation help her in not getting excessive saliva that suffocates her? please help
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012