Suffering with diabetes, thyroid, have excessive sleepiness, itchiness, lethargy after taking Serta. Side effects?

my nani 69 years old hieght is 5 inches and weight is around 75. she is suffring from thyroid and diabetes . she has been given SERTA- 25mg. After taking the medicine she is suffering from excessive sleep itching letharginess. Her eating habits have also changed as in she wants sweet food always. Her feet are also swelling . She feels excessive hot. Her tummy has also increased uncontrollably.....I want to know why is this medicine being given to her. and whether these side effects are due to this medicine. What if we stop giving this medicine.
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012