Suffering with TMJ, have jaw soreness in the morning, difficulty in opening mouth. Could this be due to TMJ?

I have known TMJ , but it never bothered me. Ironically, I lost my great health insurance 2 months ago. about a month ago I noticed my left jaw is sore, more so in the morning. Sometimes I find it difficult to open my mouth enough to get a spoonful of cereal in to eat breakfast. Is this likely TMJ? I worked in cancer research so of course, I think the worst...
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
you ARE suffering from TMJ derrangement which is a treatable condition. at your part you can go for soft diet n avoid excessive mouth opening , additionally get one night guard to wear while sleeping at night. moist heat application over the sore area will releive the pain additionally required some muscle relaxant.

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

TMJ disfunction can lead to pain, soerness in the jaw, difficulty in mouth opening, pain on chewing, pain around around the ears.

I would suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon and get the checkup done.
Take an OPG radiograph to look for TMJ.

Treatment for TMJ disfunction includes inflammatory medications, heat therapy,
Bite splint therapy can be given in some cases.
If you are having habit of clenching of teeth mouth guards can be given.

Take a soft diet.
Relieve stress if any, take tab combiflam 500mg for pain relief.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Regards.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Take an OPG radiograph to look for TMJ.

Take a soft diet.

Hope this helps out.

Regards.