Suffering from white discharge, painful intercourse. Taking clingen. How long will it take to cure?

I have been suffering from white discharge for 4 years now.I used lactacyd on a doctors instruction but recently since 1 year its just become profuse.This is resulting in a painful intercourse each time with my husband.Last week I happen to visit a gynic and she had prescribed me of clingen to use for 7 days and canesten cream to apply .Also I underwent Cervical Smear and Transvaginal Scan.Based on the results she will further prescibe me with oral medicines which she advise both of us (me and my husband) to take. How long will it take to cure and should Clingen be again used or is it a one time treatment.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013