Suffering from upper back pain, mental sickness. Can I swim again?

i have been suffering from upper back pain ,mainly around the scapula region..i used to undergo rigorous swimming training for two years but from past two years i have been having no form of exercise as i had stopped swimming..i am an architecture student..the pain started when i was draughting my sheets four months back since then i have been having real bad pain and i have not been able to do anything since then..its making me mentally sick..i have been attending physiotherapy..but see no question is can i start swimming again? as people say its a form of a therapy.
thank you
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013