Suffering from tooth ache while pregnancy

i am 30 weeks pregnant now and suffering from tooth ache.. what should i do? please help me
Asked On : Sat, 19 Mar 2011
Dentist 's  Response
there may be two causes for your dental pain
tooth related
gum related
most common in pregnancy is pregnancy induced gingivitis
so what i would suggest is that you start doing luke warm saline rinses for 3-4 times daily and use some gum paint
if the problem persists than pay a visit to your dentist
hope that helps
have a safe pregnancy best of luck

4 users find this helpful

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
visit your dentist just for clinical examination... dont go for any major dental procedure like extraction, RCT etc.. you can go for scaling...
try to subside the symptoms by taking medicines that are safe during pregnancy like penicillins and paracetamol...
go for further treatment after you deliver your baby...
hope it will help you...
take care...
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Toothache indicated infection in the tooth that had spread to the pulpal tissues such type of infected tooth needs to be root canal treated.
You can continue the treatment after the delivary, till then superficial caries can be extirpated and temporary filling can be placed.
Avoid taking x-rays.
Take a course of antibiotics and aanlgesics consulting your OBGYN.
You can safely take amoxicillin and tab paracetomol thrice for 3-5 days.
Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.

Hope this helps out,

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Welcome to hcm forum.

Since you are in 3rd trimester of pregnancy,treatment to be done has to be evaluated and treated.

You can take amoxycillin along with plain paracetamol tablets to relieve underlying infection.

Temporary restoration of tooth has to be done if possible.

If tooth cannot be saved,it has to be extracted after delivery.

Hope this helps.

Dentist Dr. Amol Gite's  Response
Pregnancy has its effects on the body in terms of change in the hormonal balance. This might manifest with slight oral cavity discomfort. The reason of pain needs to be established and would require proper history or you better show a dentist. Also pregnancy has limitations on Xrays and few medications. If disclosed to the dentist he will take due care in diagnosing and the treatment.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
. Rinsing with warm salt water.
• Using dental floss to remove any food particles.
• Applying a cold compress against the outside of the cheek. Do not use heat, because it will tend to spread infection.
• Using clove oil to numb the gums.
It is important to note that if there is any kind of swelling that is rapidly growing, a visit to an emergency room may be necessary as this kind of dental problem cannot wait.
Dentist Dr. Ankit Aggarwal's  Response
tooth ache doesnt signify always infection .although it can be infection, it can be due to number of other factors also , like due to pregnancy, she may be taking undue stress which may be manifesting as bruxism which can lead to pain. it can be due to pregnancy gingivitis. it can be due to various other reasons also. the point here is that get yourself clinicaly examined. and as your 3rd trimester is going on, so no extraction is advised. for pain relief, take paracetamol ( SOS ) and if theirs infection, you can take amoxycillin 500mg three times a day. both these drugs are safe during pregnancy.

wishing you healthy future
with best regards
Dr Ankit
Dentist Dr. Vishal Jain's  Response

Pregnancy is not the contraindication for dental procedures. only thing is you have to take precautions on certain steps.
there is restriction on some medications, restrictions on X- rays, restrictions on surgical procedures etc. but the normal routine procedures like, scaling, filling, RCT can be done during pregnancy.

My suggestion is visit to the dental surgeon, explain everything. he will diagnose you and as per requirement he will treat you with all the precautions.

Dr. vishal Jain.
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
i read your problem......
toothache can be due to stress,infection,periodontal problem etc.............
as you are 30 weeks pregnant,for tooth ache you can take paracetamol.............
paracetamol is safest drug during pregnancy...........
so nothing to get worried...
take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, dental treatment can be safely done during pregnancy. excessive medication should be avoided. Tab Crocin can be taken for pain relief. Emphasis should be on root canal treatment or extraction for immediate pain relief. Betadine gargles must be used instead of oral antibiotics in case of extraction. please visit your dentist.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
you may had tooth infection. if you had pain continue you may take Clove oil locally it subside your pain then you can visit dentist and take advices
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
as pregnancy is of 30 weks,as far as possible,you avoid antibiotics,you can take light pain relieving tablets if pain is severe. you never never go for tooth consult your dentist and explain your situation,if route abscess is formed,one course of safe antibiotic cource can be taken after consultation with your gynacologist, as 30 weeks pregnancy is there,where first trmester of perg. is passed.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Dear Tatialfaraz,thanks for choosing health care magic.Any infection in body during pregnancy is not visit a dentist and get diagnosed first and take treatment.You should avoid hard diet,take soft diet.Have more liquids avoid very hot and very cold.You should not take any pain killers without being advised.take care.
Dentist Dr. Mohit Kumar Chourasiya's  Response
first consult with gynecologist.....take advice about pain killer drugs and antibiotics.... during 7th,8th,9th month period removal of tooth NOT recommended ....RCT may be done.....take advice with gynecologist before any treatment....

General Surgeon Dr. Faraz Ahmed's  Response
thanks for query
tooth ache would destroy the teeth
be treated before it destroys.
do not x-ray
after eating diet have a gargle in your mouth
visit your nearest doctor clinic for treatment and help.

Dentist Dr. Srividya Rao Vasista's  Response
Hi Tatialfaraz,
Tooth ache means that there is an infection in your tooth & the pulp is exposed.
30 weeks is just the beginning of 3rd trimester so the tooth can be safely treated.
X-rays should be avoided as far as possible.
Please contact your nearest dentist & start treatment ASAP.
In the meanwhile gargle with BETADINE GARGLE esp after every meal.
Thanks & take care