Suffering from sore and itchy vagina. Having burning sensation. Is it yeast infection? What can I use?

Hello, my vagina feels sore on the outside and has been itchy with a slight burn to it for a few days. Today is when the aorness started, and the itching and burning feels worse tonight. I don't have any abnormal discharge however. Could it be a yeast infection or something else? I have not had sex either. What can I use to help?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

The symptoms of soreness and itchiness in the vaginal canal can be due to infection.
This infection can be due to trichomonas, fungus, etc.
The vaginal discharge needs to be examined microscopically for any evidence of infectious agent.
The further treatment will be instituted on the basis of examination of the vaginal discharge.
Along with vaginal discharge examination, urine routine examination and culture can also be done.
Urinary tract infections (UTI) can co-exist with the genital tract infections.
Avoid having intercourse till the infection clears away.
Your partner also needs to be treated concurrently.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal