Suffering from schizophrenia, suicidal tendency. Taking medication, not reduced, prescribed ECT. How to proceed further?

hi doctor.,i am ms.Nithya from chenna - india..My Mom is suffering from Schizophrenia . she is getting sucide thoughts in recent months. She says that she is hearing voice which is forcing her to commit sucide. We have been regularly consulting the local doctor and taking medications regularly (for past three months). yet the symptoms had not reduced. she had attempted suicide twice and now doctor had prescribed to undergo ECT therapy (shock treatment).. My mom had been treated for the same illness nearly a decade back where the doctor had prescribed the same medication what he had given now and she got cured effectively in those times. whereas the pills doesn't seem effective now. Is there we can change the medication., kindly suggest us how to proceed further. Note Currently her age is 55 yrs ..
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013