Suffering from sadness, suicidal tendency, irritability, crying spells and anxiety. What is the reason behind these thoughts?

Hello Dr. Grief, I m a 22 year old female. 2 years ago, I started developing depressive symptoms like sadness, irritability , awkwardness around people and sometimes suicidal ideation . It happened over the summer in the midst of a research scholarship during which i was spending alot of time alone. I have a work co- op for 6 weeks straight after the scholarship and it got really bad (sleeping very poorly, crying alot, awkward in communication and an increase in anxiety ) which would have been atypical for me. I stabilised in the next few weeks..but since then i feel i fall into bouts of really bad form...but it s really odd as the bouts could last minutes sometimes, sometimes hours and then leave and i completely forget that I feel that could be 5mins of really low form and then boom i m fine..or vice versa i could be with my friends having a great time and then BANG this wave of bad form falls upon me and I just cover it up and say I m grand. Recently, I am in good form and my normal self but I feel a loss of interest in some hobbies and things in general. I was playing high level sport up until a month ago and now I don t want to play anymore..i felt myself overthink the whole thing ad get anxious and paranoid..but strangely I m in good form so I don t know. It s just I m worried when I fall into these bouts...they are short lasting usually but I want to know the reason behind them. Thanks
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012