Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Recommended steroids. What are the side effects?

I have been suffering from reumatoid arthrities for a one year. Doctors recommend steroid but my query is that these are harmful for body? Is there any medicines which has no side effects to treat reumatoid arthiritis? For example, i visited recently to a doctor who recommended folitrex 7.5 mg but it has many side effects? So kindly advice me which medicines I should take because allopathic medicines have side effect? kindly suggest?
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012