Suffering from neuropathy in feet and knee pain, numbness. Will knee replacement damage his feet?

My father suffered with polymyalgia for 6 years and has now been left with neuropathy in his feet and lower legs. He is in a lot of pain and sometimes his feet go numb. He has seen a neurologist who has said the nerves in his feet are dying. He takes painkillers but is struggling to get around and loses his balance at times. He also has knee problems and really needs a knee replacement but all the hospital keep doing is injecting his knees. The knee specialist has said he would be worried that if he had a knee replacement op then it coulod damage his feet even more. Can you give me any advice so I can help my Dad. He is 78 and was always so fit and healthy.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012