Suffering from low haemoglobin and Anaemia. Will this cause heart stressed?

I have anemia and have a hemoglobin right now at 8.5. Recently I have been have increased heart rate in the 110s and above at rest. When I exert my self such as standing or walking upstairs I get very short of breathe and my heart races, I understand this is normal that my heart is working harder because of the decreased oxygen in my blood, but my questions is I know that it will take months for my iron levels to restore will this added heart stress for 2-3months be detrimental to my heart health? Also should I be taking it easy, can I exercise?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013