Suffering from hypothyroidism, on eltroxin, severe hair loss. Alternative medicine without side effects?

Hello Doc,I am 41yrs old ,I hv been suffering from hypothyroid since my child s hv been taking eltroxin100mg.Over the years my skin and hair have degraded drastically,I hv lost neary 1/2of my hair and my skin has become so shallow that I hv started looking haggard.I get my thyroid checked regularly .Kindly let me know that does eltroxin cause hair loss?Which is the best medicine to take for thyroid with least side effect?
Asked On : Wed, 29 Aug 2012