Suffering from gastric ulcers, abdominal pain, vomiting blood. Low potassium levels. Cancer?

My mother has just been diagnosed with gastric ulcers , I noticed that the doctor is checking for cancer- lymphoma , carcinoma and h. pylori . Is this standard procedure? He ordered these tests via biopsies taken yesterday during an endoscopy. She had been vomitting blood, and had severe abdominal pain (was taken to ER) also her potassium was very low?
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Sep 2012
Hi, Welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das
When an aged patient has gastric ulcer every doctor will search for any associated other disease like H.pylori. It is quite normal.
But what seems very odd to me is, the condition of your mother needs very close observation and resuscitation with compensating the bleeding and vomiting and low potassium level which may get very serious at times. And after stabilizing the patient then planning for these investigations will be necessary.