Suffering from gas, bloated stomach, headache, irritation in throat at times. Is this Acid reflux ?

Hi I am suffering from gas,bloated stomach,headache from last 6-7 months.there is also a irrritation in throat at times with mucus in the spit.i met a gastro doc and he said i suffer from ACID reflux , he adsvised me SOMPRAZ IT capsules once a day.whn i take the capsules the condition is better but if i stop it comes back again. i also suffer from constipation,i have also noticed that if i take a herbal laxacitve in the night , i dont have the gas trouble the next day.there is also mucus in my stools at times and the stools are kinda sticky can u please help me find a permanent cure for this ailment also sumtimes there is a pain in my back, that eases if i take a antacid . do i suffer from ACID reflux ? Do i suffer from more acid or less acid in my stomach. Please help as this problem is really causing me too much prob in my work life as well
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be caused by gastric reflux disease. This is true. But before saying that, you should have upper GI endoscopy performed as this disease can be caused by peptic ulcer, stomach mucosa inflammation, hiatal hernia or Helicobacter Pylori infection. Gallstones can sometimes give such symptoms as well as the pancreas disease (it can also give mucus on stool).
It is strongly advisable for you to have upper GI endoscopy performed. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests (AST,ALt,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin, urine analysis and stool tests are also very important. If no finding in this tests, you should also have colonoscopy to find the reason of mucus in stool.
As acid reflux disease very often is associated with asthma, blow test (spirometry) and chest X-ray should be also performed.

Hope this will help.