Suffering from esophageal cancer spread to spine. Swollen thigh, vomiting. Is chemotherapy an option?

Hi, my step father has recently been diagnosed with esophagus cancer which unfortunately has spread to the spine . His right thigh has swollen considerably, but no blood clot showed on ultrasound, MRI leg scan shows probably cancer too. he is now vomiting since yesterday tea time and unable to keep even water down. Dr s have sent him home with a drip of pain relief and anti sickness. he lives alone and I am worried how quickly this is spreading and taking over. He still hasn t started chemo , due to start on Monday, do you think it is worth him going through chemo at this stage?
Asked On : Mon, 17 Sep 2012