Suffering from diabetes. Has small hole on front leg. What is the treatment?

Hello, my mother suffers from diabetes and has had a small hole on the front of her leg for about 3 years that will not heal. It started out very small now it has spread and become allot bigger and more painful. She is scared to show anyone because it looks so bad. She also has gone to the Dr. And shown them and they advised her that nothing can be done to solve this. I am wondering is there anything that can be done besides removing her leg. It's a very large purple swollen hole. The Dr. Also told her that it came from a blood vessel that burst and it won't heal. Please let me know what you think.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013