Suffering from cramps, backache and bloating. Abnormal periods and light discharge. Is it Menopause stage?

I had my normal period Dec. 21-27th..I had the usual light days toward the end, then brown..then a week later it came back, brown, then light blood, and now heavier. I m having cramps , backache and bloating like I do a normal period, but it s straight blood, not dark though. It s been about two weeks now, and I have never had any abnormal periods, or bleeding before. I am 46, and very worried.. I went to the dr. today and she scheduled an ultrasound , and that is all..Are there any other test that maybe should have been done too? Any idea what could be wrong?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013