Suffering from constipation, bowel movement. Taking stool softener. Blood test- low WBC count. What could it be?

Hi my grandson is 19 years old and has suffered with constipation for a number of years, he is taking a stool softener which has helped a lot. However he didn't take it for 2 days last weekend, and when he came home all the blood vessels on his face had burst from trying to have a bowel movement while he was away. He also had some blood tests done over the past month or so, and his doctor said he has a low white cell count, but she doesn't know if it's connected to the bowel problem. He is just getting over a bout of flu and seems to be sleeping a lot over the past few weeks ie. sometimes all day at weekends and all night too. What do you think it could be?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013