Suffering from congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, lowered kidney function and ascites. Paracentesis performed. How long the treatment is needed?

My father-in-law suffers from congestive heart failure , possible cirrhosis , lowered kidney function and ascites for which he has a paracentisis performed once or twice per week. He loves to drink fluid, although he should obviously maintain a lower fluid intake to reduce buildup... Here s the question: How long does fluid take to be processed by the body in this state that results in chest or abdominal fluid buildup? Why: I ask because a tech gave him the brilliant idea of increasing fluid intake (because he enjoys it) the day before his procedure- because it gets drained off anyway. Is this true or is it just terrible advice?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012