Suffering from cold, gagging on coughing, vomiting sensation, triggers on sleeping. Remedy?

I have had a flu/ cold for the past few days. Just last night it started that when I cough or air hits a certain part of my throat , ( a dry part I call it ) I very quickly begin to gag; almost as if I was about to vomit . I rush to the bathroom and take gulps of water whenever I feel the dry area feel irritated and this gaggy feeling. It makes me have to cough which in turn makes me feel like gagging. Eventually the dry feeling isn t as intense anymore and I am able to relax a little. This feeling seems to only happen when I try to go to sleep. I didn t sleep at all last night and I am afraid it s going to happen again tonight. What is happening and how should I treat it?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013