Suffering from cold. Will usually drink water, have chicken soup to cure it. Will drinking beer help?

I have a cold . I have heard that my favorite beer, Guinness, has certain benefits that may help speed my recovery. Is this true? I have never tried it before, and generally speaking I just pump myself full of tap water and chicken soup, but I happen to have a few pints of Guinness in the fridge and I can t help but feel that solution, if viable, would be much more enjoyable. Thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

The best thing for a cold is warm soup and plenty of warm fluids and plenty of rest which you are anyway following so just continue that and I am sure you will be better in a couple of days.

No doctor in the right state of mind will ever tell you at least openly that beer is good for cold!! In any case its better not to experiment as usually the consuming of chilled beer is the cause of cold!

In any case I am sure anyone drinks beer to enjoy the same and not to get cured of cold which is a justification to hide the guilt!

My advice to you is that get the cold completely cured in a week or so and then enjoy the Beer when you are healthy!

In any case if you feel the symptoms persists then you must consult an ENT

Dr Sriram Nathan