Suffering from bowel cancer. Spread to liver. Taking morphine for pain. Weight loss, swollen feet. Any suggestions?

Dad 81, has stage IV bowel cancer with mets to the liver . He hasn t responded to treatment and is now at home on long acting morphine tablets for pain. He never complains but its so awful to see him decline in front of me. He has lost weight although he is on a steroid every morning and his appetite is great. His feet got very swollen and he wear strong stockings which help. He cannot be left on his own for a minute as he often falls if he attempts to walk on his own. Confusion is more noticeable now and he is forgetful too. I m so sad, but strong enough to care and love him so much that I would really like to know what to expect and how long I ll have him realistically. Many thanks.
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012