Suffering from back, hip and thighs pain. MRI shows slip disk, biochemistry test show TLC high. Cause?

Hi, my dad has been suffering from back pain for the last 6 weeks. The pain was initially in the back but has now completely shifted to specific points in the hip and thighs. MRI s reveal that a disc maybe be slipped(L2-L3). However, biochemistry test show that TLC is high(14,200) along with ESR(63). What do you think is the cause? I have consulted many doctors and almost every doctor has his/her own way of looking at the thing.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012