Suffering from Parkinson's, had a hip replacement surgery. Lot of Phlegm in throat. Will this affect breathing?

My father is suffering from Parkinson s. He has undergone a surgery for hip replacement last week. He has lot of phlegm collected in the mouth and throat and is unable to spit it out by himself. He is under antibiotic treatment and is hospitalised. How long will the phlegm take to subsidise? Will this affect his breathing and reduce the oxygen in his body? Is this the symptom of end stage of parkinson s?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012