Suffering from IVDP, excruciating pain on the middle of the left thigh, unable to walk. Can I recover ?

I am suffering from IVDP from 8.11.2011. I was not able to walk as I was having excruciating pain on the middle of the left thigh ( hamstring ). I was admitted in hospital and they advised surgery as it was seen disc prolapse on L4 L5. But I went for Siddha - Ayurvedic treatment and able to walk after 16 days. I took 3 months bed rest. As I have not recovered, I went for Alopahthic treatment and presently undergoing physio therapy as advised by the doctor. Doctor advised not to have surgery now. I am consulting an ortho doctor. But I am fed up that I am still having back pain and numbness on the back, legs and fingers in the leg. At times I will feel better for one or two weeks. Then I would be having a feeling that at last I have recovered. But all of a sudden, condition would become bad. Please advice me whether this is the nature of recovery. Whether I need surgery for full recovery.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013