Suffering from IBS for years, frequently passing stools. Medication required?

I am retired Professor of Delhi university. i have been suffering from Bowl Syndrom for several years. I mainlyconsulted Dr. B.N.Tandon,Retd from AIIMS. For four days I am passing stools frequently although I have not indulged in anything abnormal. I am vegetaian,donot smoke and am teetotaller. YYYY@YYYY P.S. Pl suggest some medicine for 3/4 days. After 31 Dec. I will come to see you. Best wishes for New Year Tribhawan kitchlu 0000
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for your query.

The first and most important thing is whether or not you have been diagnosed with IBS. If the diagnosis is confirmed and all infections, etc. have been ruled out the next thing is to understand what you have.

The most common treatment for IBS are the use of anti-spasmodics, which under the supervision of a doctor, help in relieving you of your symptoms.

Kindly discuss the same with your doctor.

Also some information that could help you. Kindly avoiding eating the following items, which can trigger a flare-up of your IBS:

-Fatty or fried foods
-Foods that release sugars
-Fizzy carbonated drinks/sodas
-Spicy food
-Raw vegetable, fruits, salads
-Red meat
-Dairy products
-Hot (temperature) food

I hope this information has helped you. Best of luck, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best regards.