Suffered brainstem minor hematoma, MRI indicates white matter ischemic changes. Prescribed statins. Correct treatment? Stop further strokes?

My mother suffered a brainstem minor haematoma in April this year. She has made quite good recovery. Her consultant has recently reviewed her MRI and indicated white matter ischaemic changes. He has prescribed statins. Firstly, is this a good first course of actions. Secondly, should we be worried about her cognition and risk of further strokes? I need to help my father and mother understand the issues of which they need to be aware and future management
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012