Suffer from midsternal chest pain upon exertion. Palpitation. What does it mean?

Hello. I am worried about this midsternal chest pain I develop upon exertion,,, walking up stairs or during strenuous exercise. It feels like I am being stabbed in the chest. Yesterday, I also developed an uncomfortable pressure in my neck/throat at the time I was experiencing this chest pain during exercise. It scares me and I feel my heart palpitate when this happens. It has been going on for about a year. I slow down my exercising and it gradually gets better the longer I work out. What does this mean?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013