Suffer from left foot drop and numbness. Taking prednisone. MRI showing bulging disc and mild stenosis. Due to viral infection? History of shingles

I am 40 years old and female. I have had left foot drop and numbness on top of my foot and and up to part of my leg for 8 days, sudden onset. I was seen by orthopedic doctor on monday and placed on prednisone , 12 day dose. I had xrays and MRI, MRI showed bulging disc at L4 L5, L5 S1 with moderate stenosis, no herniated disc. My doctor suggested it could be a virus that has caused this. Is that possible? I am some better with a little movement and less numbness but still have to high step to walk. I have a history of shingles 3 times since 2009.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013