Suffer from double hernia. History of ulcerative colitis. Is it safe to go for open surgeries?

My husband has a double hernia . The surgeon advised that he needs to do a open procedure on both sides due to the fact that he had previous surgeries due to Ulcerative Colitis . The procedure has been scheduled 1 week from now (with some prompting - we were looking at a 2 week wait). Is this is a reasonable wait time while someone is in pain? The other question I have is if he should separate the two open surgeries or have them performed together. The doctor is advising this based on the pain. My husband is 36 years old and in excellent physical condiation - can t he proceed with both at once?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013