Suffer from dermatitis herpetiformis and hypothyroidism. Are these related?

is there a connection between hypothyroidism and weeping leg ulcer? I have dermatitis herpetiformis (related to gluten) and a dairy intolerance. I have been gluten free for almost two years and more recently I have removed all dairy from my diet. Many of the Celiac/Sprue researchers discuss the connection between gluten and hypothyroidism. For well over 6 months I have experienced shortness of breath/heart racing (panic attacks), inability to sweat, very dry skin, loss of hair when brushing, intolerance cold, hands and fingers usually cold to the touch, unusual weight gain and extreme tiredness. I also have eczema on my left leg. In September a sore developed and then multiple areas of the lower leg will weep fluid, which has caused red, raw skin from the moisture. I use zinc and a Biofine emulsion next to the skin and wrap the leg with absorbent pads and gauze. When the weeping is even more excessive I have to resort to using much thicker more absorbent pads. Since I have gone off the diary I have seen noticeable improvement in my body. I am also on day seven of a 21 day elimination diet (of course gluten, dairy and I have now excluded soy, corn, eggs, peanuts, and sugar). I m eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean grass-fed beef, organic chicken and fish. Amazing difference in just a few days without the dairy and I ve seen some improvements already in my other skin conditions. Even my left leg. But I just feel there is more . . . Last year I had horribly heavy periods that were debilitating at times. I started taking a B-50 Complex, which seemed to help a little bit. My periods stopped in September (I have my fingers crossed!) Family Health History: My Mom had similar issues before she passed away at age 79 (pneumonia). She had similar skin conditions, arthritis in her hands, hips and legs (most of my hand pain cleared up when I went off gluten). She was also told she had Asthma when she was in her early seventies. She was eventually placed on oxygen 24/7 even though her oxygen levels were fine when she was stationary. She also suffered from Tic douloureux or trigeminal neuralgia, a rare neurological issue. She always said the doctors kept prescribing drugs, but couldn t. get to the root of her problems. My dad who is also deceased passed away a year before my mom. He lived to be 93! He did have macular (sp) degeneration, HBP, Hypothyroidism, arthritis and depression. Dad also had a lactose intolerance. Most recently I found a connection on the internet between the weeping ulcer like sores and hypothyroidism. What do you think?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013

Myxedema describes a specific form of cutaneous and dermal edema secondary to increased deposition of connective tissue components (like glycosaminoglycans, hyaluronic acid, and other mucopolysaccharides) in subcutaneous tissue as seen in various forms of hypothyroidism specially in legs with water waxy thing oozing out(pretibial myxedema). It is more common in women than in men

that edema dur to hypothyroidism and gluten and dietry allergy are common so does auto antibody disease (gluten hypothyroidism,asthma . arthritis) rather i would say your thymus should be taken out once for all as it is making stupid antibodies to kill your own body or atleast a biopsy
...thmectomy and thymic Family do exist

take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum.
Thanks for choosing H.C.M.F.
You have got hypothyroid state, and coeliac diseased. Leaving aside you have to face all the symptoms of independent diseases.
You have got the diagnosis and treatment to both diseases. Gluten is the component of wheat and its products, and you have already on the process of elimination.
Recently you have got casein intolarance , and avoided the diary products. You are under the correct treatment so don't worry, you have the result already, and rest will be cleared in course of time.
Your parents got same type of symptoms but at the age of 70+so don't worry about them , if you get it by inherintance also you are under controle.
Wishing for a comfirtable maintenance.
Best regards.