Suffer from depression after taking vyvanse. Does this medication cause vitamin deficiency?

Hi there. I'm currently on 50mg of vyvanse (reduced from 70) and I'm having some concerns. My doctor lowered my dosage due to SEVERE afternoon depression that was being caused by this drug. On lower dosages I do not experience the amount of depression that I experienced on 70mg. Is it possible that vyvanse can cause a vitamin deficiency, or perhaps the "afternoon crash" could be from dehydration or lack of calories? Ins short I'm wondering if my symptoms are psychological or if they are more physical and can be corrected without discontinuing vyvanse all together. Thank you so much!
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) dose not cause depression and is in fact sometime used to boost antidepressant effect of other antidepressant because it enhance dopamine and norepinephrine which can improve depression, fatigue and sleepiness.

It has a known side effect of causing lack of appetite (anorexia) and if you are noticing the same this could be the reason behind your current symptoms.

A good strategy to deal with side effect is to reduce the dose and see if it helps. Your doctor has already reduce the dose and you are noticing improvement which is a good sign.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

Vyvanse is Lisdexamfetamine. It is a stimulant drug and currently used mainly in ADD. It cause improved feeling of well being and intense stimulation. It has potential to worsen the depression like any other stimulant amphetamine drug. It can cause headache, nausea, body ache which may further worsen the depression like symptoms. But it is not known to cause vitamin deficiencies directly. As with dose decrease it has improved so most likely it was due to high dose. Try to do Relaxation Exercises, Meditation, Breathing Exercises to boost your mood and to suppress psychological symptoms.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD