Suffer from bowel cancer and dementia. Hard lump on the lower abdomen. Perforated bowel?

hi my mother is 84 with stage 4 bowel cancer and advanced dementia. she is now in a nursing home and is physically able bodied but with her dementia we have no constant awareness of her stool movements as she is not incontinent. she was on dioctyl but was taken off it recently. she now has an apple sized very hard lump lower left side of abdomen and a low temperature yesterday. Im concerned that she may be on the way to a second perforated bowel ( she had this a few months ago and survived)
my question is should she be back on the dioctyl? is it for extreme cases of constipation?
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013