Suffer from bipolar disorder. Have smoking and alcohol addiction. Not ready to take medication. What to do?

I am 68 yrs old.
My son Somasundaram, now 38 yrs, was treated for Bipolar 3 years ago, but once in away he is getting into that typical pattern. He smokes and drinks.
Since his first treatment of Bipolar, he is not steady in his mind and have not worked. Presently he is in the same condition as before and not taking any medication and not willing to go to the Doctor.
He was treated at Markham Stoufville Hospital by DR. Berber, and we as parents would like to go to the hospital again for advice.
Is there any other solution for this as we are also getting old now?
Siva & Yvonne Somasundaram
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013