Suffer from back pain. MRI showing disc desiccation with annular disc bulge and disc protrusion. Need surgery?

Hi, I have been having back pain since 10 days and just know got an MRI the MRI says disc desiccation with an anular disc bulge and a left paracentral disc protrusion with an anular tear minimally displace the left S1 nerve root , create minimal bilateral neural foraminal narrowing and minimal central canal stenosis at L5-S1. I m a software engineer and I can barely walk, sit, stand for long periods of time without being in pain and I have trouble sleeping due to all the pain as well. Would surgery be the best thing to do and will/should I continue to do my job with all this pain?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013