Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).
Few things to know about IBS:
1. Is a chronic disease which has relapsing and remitting course
2. It will never harm you even if it will persist for whole life
3. Stress, life events, and anxiety leads to aggravation of symptoms
4. Intestine becomes hypersensitive so even discomfort is perceived as pain
5. Increase gas production leading to abdominal fullness and bloating
6. No alarming features like weight loss
, gastrointestinal bleeding
,loss of appetite, anemia or hypoproteinemia
7.Three types IBS- C/D/Or M (constipation
prominent or mixed type)
So if your husband is not having any of the above alarming features then it must be IBS. If any of them is present then I advise to seek the opinion of Gastroenterologist to evaluate him further.
I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch.