Sudden weird smell, then headache, then metallic taste in mouth. Why?

Sudden weird smell, then headache, then metallic taste in mouth. My husband and I suddenly smelled a weird "burning rubber" smell while out running errands. A few minutes later he mentioned the smell must have made his headache worse. Within 10 minutes we were home and he had to lie down. He said he had an awful metallic taste in his mouth and his pulse was racing. (I checked it and it was 104 at rest.) What I've read so far points to panic attack--but I smelled the weird smell also, and do not believe that is the culprit. I need a short possible answer of possibilities... He's had some health issues and has had MRI's and all sorts of tests, but nothing concrete. Parkinsons, MS, and some other severe diseases have been ruled out, but he is still struggling. Any ideas?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Mar 2010