Sudden spinal pain due to residual nerve damage from an accident. On prednisone. Painful swelling in the ankle and edema in the body. Why?

I m a 28 year old female, 5 8 and about 150 lbs. I suffered from sudden onset spine pain in February and my doctor put me on Prednisone (6 day dose pack) and bedrest before sending me to the hospital for x-rays and a MRI . I came back negative for cancer/tumors/MS, and apparently the pain is being caused by residual nerve damage from a prior accident. The Prednisone caused my body to retain massive amounts of water, which in turn gave me pitting edema . I thought the Prednisone was out of my system, but every few weeks, the pitting edema comes back. I was sent back to the hospital to be checked for blood clots/ heart problems, but nothing was found. Why am I still having pitting edema? I never experienced it before I was put on Prednisone. Is it possible that the Prednisone is still in my system? Additionally, I used an ice pack (wrapped) to help ease the painful swelling in my ankle and now I have an ice burn on my skin. Will the edema make my skin more prone to burns? Is there anything I can do to fix the edema (long term solution)? My doctor seems to think it s not an issue, but I m going out of my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Asked On : Fri, 1 Jun 2012