Sudden outbreak of scabs on wrist, partner had the same after returning from remote area. What could it be?

Hello, My husband has recently spent the night outside in a remote area in Kentucky. When he returned he had a rash-looking/scab outbreak on his lower legs (between his knees and ankles) and lower arms (between his elbows and wrists). After taking some benedryl the rash/scabs seemed to be getting smaller. I awoke yesterday with a single scab right above my wrist that I have no recollection of. When I woke up this morning there are now two. Is this a contagious virus/disease/bacteria that he could have picked up from the outdoors. I also should metion, my husband is a soldier and was in full uniform during his time outdoors. This includes knee socks, long pants, calfed boots, long sleeves, and gloves (gloves are for dealing with brush and clearing areas for sleep). I would no think this could be poison ivy/oak, as he was fully covered at all times. He was only in the outdoors for a full 24 hours. Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012