Sudden onset of soreness, swelling on finger joints, hip pain. Sign of aggressive arthritis?

During the past month or so I have experienced soreness in the joints of my fingers some of which are swollen. I was a PE teacher and played a lot of sport which might have a bearing on my condition. However, I cannot understand why these arthritic symptoms have come on so suddenly. On a couple of fingers it has started in the upper joint and then worked its way down to the lower joint. I am in a job now where I need to use my hands but find it uncomfortable and fear it is going to get worse. Is there such a thing as aggressive arthritis which comes on all of a sudden. My hips are also giving me pain. I am 54years old .
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012