Sudden onset of itching on inner thighs, left of abdomen, chest, temporary relief with steroids. Cause?

For about a month now I had a sudden onset of severe itching on inner thighs, left side of abdomen , right hip area, and upper right side on chest . The only thing that began to clear it up was steroids. The minute I got off them it came back with even worse than before. I am waking up in the middle of the night from it. I haven t used any new meds, lotions, or detergents so I don t think it s allergies.
Asked On : Mon, 1 Oct 2012