Sudden, dull, stitch like pain in the chest. Waiting for x-ray results. What could this be?

Hi I am a female aged 20 I went to America for the summer and got diagnosed with asthma , which I have never had before. My symptoms were shortness of breath, tight chest like someone was pulling on my trachea and I also got told I had allergies. That was in July. I got back in August and since then I have been getting like a stitch like pain in my chest which feels worse when I breath in. It comes at anytime and it is very dull but uncomfortable pain. At first The pain was on my left side just near the bottom of my ribs but now it feels closer to the centre of my chest. It s probably the most basic simple problem but I have had it for nearly 4 months now and when I went to see my GP he said it probably wasn t asthma and he done a check and said there was like a crackling sound in my left lung . He has sent me for a chest X-ray but stated he is not at all concerned and its just precaution. What s is your opinion please.
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012