Stubborn cough getting worse, have weight gain, hair loss, low appetite, swallowing difficulty. Thyroid signs?

Hi, I have a cough that will not go away and is getting progressively worse. Blood tests in Aug 2012 record TSH level of 4.79 and T4 of 13.5. I have many symptoms that correspond with a thyroid issue not least the unusual one whereby my eyebrows on the outer part are very thin and hair loss on my head is bad and has been for a very long time. I have put on over 2 stones in weight which I cannot seem to reduce. I was told I was within the thyroid range of 0 to 5 which is normal by the doctor but having read and know myself that my body is definitely not working properly I see that in America a normal range is classed as 0 to 3 and any reading over 4 needs looking at for thyroid problems. Am I right in thinking this? I have had these problems, looking back, for over 3 years now and it impacts on everyday life. I am always tired, have no energy and never have an appetite or feel hungry - I have been a couple of days without eating hardly anything and never have hunger pangs etc which is not normal. I have no drive and really do very little other than needed each day. My neck is much larger to me than normal - I used to have a very slim neck and when I cough - everything from the neck and under the chin looks like a turkey!! Sometimes when I go to swallow - not food - just swallow, it s difficult. Thanks for reading this. email: YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013