Stringy yellow crust in eye, watery eye, taking gentamicin, reappears after stop using the solution. Suggestion?

Hi I am getting stingy yellow crust in my eye . It is coming out any times in day a and night. Eyes are watery too. I have seen doctors and they have prescribered Gentamicin solution and other eye have prescribed allergy tablets after examination. The crust will reduce if i consume these medicines. But it is appearing again if i stopped using the solution. I am using this solution for more than a month. Can any body help on this.
Asked On : Wed, 16 May 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
hi kameshwaran.perumal,

Gentimicin is a good drug but unfortunately it has lost most of its potency with the emergence of new strains of bacteria that are resistant to the same. There is no role of this drug to be used for such a long period of time.

The ideal line of treatment in this situation would be first to reassess what type of infection, if any, do you have at this point of time. You need to undergo something called culture and sensitivity testing to find out they exact type pf pathogen that is casusing this problem. The treatment can then be tailored to the same disorder.

hope this helps.