Stretching the back causes sternum to crack and pop, cannot raise arms, sharp pain in chest. What's the issue ?

For the past few years I have been able to crack my sternum, I know it sounds awkward and painful. I stretch my back and it my sternum pops much like a knuckle on your hand would do. This doesn t cause me pain, on the contrary it is mostly conducive to helping with chest pain . This morning I woke up and I could not raise my arms over my head or take a deep breath without a sharp pain in the center/left part of my chest. I am not one to be anhypochondriac but this seems to be causing me some anxiety . What is the issue?!
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013