Strained calf muscle, sharp shocks in the area. What can prevent this experience?

Hi Stephen. I recently have either straiend or pulled my right calf muscle from the treadmill at the gym. Last night I experienced what was almost like a sharp electric shock jolt go through my right calf which made me jump, I have had it it again today about 3 or 4 times throughout the day today Im wondering what this could be, and how to prevent this from happening? also should I be going to gym tonight for a walk on the treadmill. any help would be much aprreciated :) thanks Kayla
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013