Stopped cigarettes after cold, congestion. Coughing mucus with brown spots, sticky sputum. Respiratory infection?

I ve smoked for 25 years. About a month ago I got a bad cold with muscle aches, congestion, etc. I took that opportunity to drop the cigs. Since then I ve been using the patch. After a few days my congestion dissipated, but I started to cough up a lot of phlegm/ mucus with brown spots. The sputum was very sticky and it was very frequent for a couple weeks. Now, almost a month later (and still not smoking ) it seems to have largely subsided but 1-2 times a day I will still cough up largely clear phlegm, sticky with brown flecks. What are your thoughts? Repiratory infection? Process of clearing out my lungs after smoking? Worse....? :/
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012