Stopped birth control pill, irregular period. Trying to conceive. Negative ovulation test. What's wrong?

Hi. I have been on the pill for many years. Last year August I stopped the pill as my husband and I have decided to have a baby. I have been having irregular short periods after stopping the pill. 2 weeks ago I visited my gynae as i was 1week late for my period. he advised that I was not ovulating. He prescribes Fertomid for me to take on day 5 of my period. I had started my period that night that I had visited the gynae. On Saturday was day 11, I had did a ovulation test and it was negative. Today day 13 I had tested again for ovulation and negative again. Is there something wrong with me?
Asked On : Thu, 7 Feb 2013
Mar 2013
Thank you for your query.
Sometimes, return to ovulation after stopping birth control pills ( particularly since you have been using it for years ) might take upto a few months.
Hormonal tests can confirm if this is so.
Also, you might be suffering from PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome ), in which case the hormonal imbalance is caused by multiple small follicles in the ovaries, none of which ovulate, resulting in irregular cycles and anovulation.
Thyroid hormone disorder, anxiety, stress, rapid fluctuations in weight etc also might cause such a picture.
You need detailed hormonal evaluation, ultrasound, biochemical tests to confirm the diagnosis. Consult an infertility specialist / endocrinologist for the same.
Also, since you are having irregular cycles, you might be having delayed ovulation/ no ovulation.
It is better to undergo follicular monitoring instead of repeated ovulation tests.