Stool brownish after starting solid food. Why did green stool replace it?

Hi doctor,this is Mrs.Arora. My que to u is my daughter is 5.5months old.she started taking solid food wn she got 5 months that means 15 or 20 days before. At the very start she passed the stool which was brownish in colour n hard also but only once the colour was brown . After that she has been passin dark green colored stool n it is hard also. She is taking dal rice cereal, rice cerelac n fruit in her diet .is the bottle green or dark green color normal.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Do not worry.
Green color of the stool does indicate only one thing that there is increased bowel motility and nothing more.
So you need not worry regarding this.

I also request you to continue to breast feed your baby till 2 years of age because of the several advantages breast feeding has on the brain growth.

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics